Sunday, July 12, 2009

American Life In The Summertime #24 - Spain

FLAMENCO - AN EXPLANATION


(2 men with guitars sit on stage with male & female dancer. Guitars begin, male dancer rises)

MAN: (Taps feet and whips hands, looks intensely at female dancer) "You will be my woman!"

(Sits down with satisfaction. Woman gets up, scornful look on face)

WOMAN: (More loud tapping of feet, elaborate arm movements) "I will not! You will never be good enough for me."

(Sits down looking pleased with self. Man taken slightly aback, steely look crosses face. Gets up again)

MAN: (Even more enthusiastic stomping of feet, whipping of hands) "I will have you! Do not defy me."

(Sits down again with greater satisfaction. Look of determination crosses woman's face. Gets up again)

WOMAN: "Do not kid yourself. Your beard is very feminine, and your pants too tight. Stop bothering me." (Punctuated by big stamp of feet, more hand gestures)

(Woman glares at man as she sits down. Man glares back, rises again)

MAN: "My beard is manly & strong as my complicated series of dance moves will show." Stomp, stomp, stomp, clap, clap, clap. Clap. STOMP!!

(Man circles challengingly around woman as he moves to sit. Woman stands and stares defiantly back as they circle each other)

WOMAN: "It is the beard of a young boy and you will never have me. There is no room in those pants for anything that would satisfy me. Take that!" Stamp stamp STAMP! Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap. Swing hips dismissively

(Man stands again) 

MAN: "I will because the power of the dance demands it! SUBMIT!" STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP!!! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!! 

WOMAN: "I find my resistance strangely fading. It provokes my fiery Latin temperament. You will not succeed!!" CLAP WAVE STAMP WAVE CLAP WAVE STAMP WAVE CLAP STAMP STAMP CLAP CLAP CLAP WAVE STAMP CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP

MAN: "Resistance is futile. Save your energy for our lovemaking" STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP 

WOMAN: " I feel myself strangely drawn to you. We shall dance together while I contemplate this." WAVE CLAP WAVE STAMP CLAP WAVE CLAP WAVE WHIP WAVE CLAP CLAP WAVE WAVE WAVE WHIP CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP WAVE CLAP CLAP CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP WAVE WAVE WHIP CLAP CLAP WAVE CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP CLAP STAMP WAVE CLAP WAVE STAMP CLAP WAVE CLAP WAVE WHIP WAVE WHIP CLAP WAVE WAVE WAVE STAMP CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP WHIP CLAP CLAP CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP WAVE WAVE CLAP WHIP CLAP WAVE CLAP WAVE STAMP STAMP CLAP STAMP

MAN: (Slowing down) "You are now carrying my child. It is the power of the dance.

WOMAN: (Falls into him, panting) "I love you."


What's not to love? 'Til next time: take care of yourselves.....and each other.

No comments: